At Lakeside, our top priority is to provide a safe, healing environment for our patients. Toward that end, we encourage our patients to bring personal items to make their stay as comfortable as possible, and we strive to keep our facility free of potentially hazardous items.
The following items are considered contraband and are not allowed on our patient floors at Lakeside. Items on this list will be sent home or stored in a safe area outside the treatment unit for pick up upon patient discharge.
Items that are NOT allowed include but are not limited to:
- Weapons or protective devices
- Belts, cords (to include paracords), straps, ties, shoelaces, scarves, bandanas, rubber bands, or sashes.
- Plastic bags
- Sharp objects including scissors, knives, pocket knives, metal nail files or knitting needles, sewing needles, safety pins or straight pins
- Metal combs, hair picks, or rattail combs
- Any liquid which contains alcohol, i.e. mouthwash (hair products, shampoo/conditioner, body lotions, deodorant or other personal hygiene items identified to contain some alcohol are not permitted)
- Bar soap (liquid soap in the original container is permitted
- Spray cans or aerosol cans
- Glass containers or other glass items
- Razors (single)
- Compacts with glass mirrors
- Manicure sets
- Coat hangers (neither plastic nor wire)
- Tape recorders, televisions, radios, IPods, cellular phones, cameras, beepers, computers, portable DVD players or any electrical appliance not required for daily personal grooming
- Steel toe boots, high heels, flip flops, light up shoes or rope sole shoes
- Cigarette lighters or matches, open packs or pre rolled cigarettes are not permitted. Only unopened, commercially manufactured cigarettes are permitted
- Any clothing with drawstrings including: hoodies, jackets, sweatshirts, sweat pants, pajamas, tank tops and shirts with small straps (spaghetti straps), thong styled underwear, shorts or pants with drawstrings. Underwire bras are permitted on adult units only. Underwire bras are not allowed on child/adolescent units.
- Only blankets and pillows/bed coverings provided by the hospital are permitted
- Stockings, panty hose or tights (TED hose are approved if ordered by the physician )
- Food of any kind (For Child/Adolescent and Gero units ONLY food consumed by the patient during visitation is permitted. No food is permitted to be delivered or stored for the patient on any unit.
- Facial or ear piercing deemed a safety risk (stud earrings and piercings are acceptable; hoop earrings are not)
- Stuffed animals
- Fidget spinners
- Zip-It bags
- Any other items deemed hazardous by staff
Additional contraband items for adolescents and children:
- Magnetic toys
- Jewelry (including tongue rings and belly button rings)
- Jeans or pants with rips or holes, band logo t-shirts, clothing with writing
- Underwire bras
Thank you, in advance, for leaving these items at home. As with every aspect of treatment, our staff is available to assist you with this process. If there are items you are unsure of, don’t hesitate to ask. We’re here for you.
Lakeside is not responsible for misplaced items or valuables.
If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to contact us!